My photo
Poet, Artist and co-owner of Lasting Images Photography

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Might give you an idea ......

The Word That Got Away


And I stand there

abandoned by my own vocabulary.


People get twitchy,

embarrassed for me , no doubt.


They imagine

I’m humiliated by this betrayal.


But what I feel

is more akin to grief.


I knew that word well.

We were old friends.


If it’s escaped me,

surely it is only a vacation, not divorce.


My fear is that

it has been waylayed by strangers,


kidnapped, stuffed in a trunk,

sunk in the ocean, forgotten.


And I stand there

holding a big bag of money

waiting for the ransom note


or a dictionary.


1 comment:

C. said...

Hi Jude,

"And I stand there
holding a big bag of money"

is a funny image and it really shows the old adage: ...as long as you've got your health.